Thursday, February 24, 2011

Writing vs. Painting - the battle of the hobbies

Here I am. I have found myself confused. Very, very confused.

I have always loved writing. But with the onslaught of writers block I have found myself turning to a secondary love: Painting.

It's one of those things I do to relax, that I enjoy, and now that I can make some extra cash from. 

I like photography as well, but my skills are on a purely hobby basis. Same with knitting and sewing/cross stitching. To say I am creative would be apt.

Writing has always been a first and formost love, but I have never been able to power through the first draft through to 2nd or 3rd edits. I usually get stuck at 1st edits and move on to something else.

This has happened in the past, my current WIP which is sitting in my bedside table awaiting me, has taken me a year and a half (2 summers) to get to this point. This point being half way through edit 1 (which is quite painful). Because of this I am now switching gears again. Art comes to my rescue and I'm suddenly looking at being an Artist.

I am a Writer, I am an Artist and I have to be a Legal Secretary. It is clear I cannot concentrate on both my passions at the same time, so I guess I am stuck spending my life switching between the two.

What does this mean for my blog? Should I keep changing the title or have another one for painting? There will be lulls of months at a time where I cannot  write in one for the other is my current obsession. Right now I think I will remain here. Atleast I am writing, when I am writing my blog. So even if my obsession is painting, I am still putting in a bit of time on my dear writing. Right?

Tomorrow is quite exciting for me as 3 pieces will be going to good homes. 2 commisioned for a birthday and personal and another bought from my personal collection (heh doesn't that just sound cool).

The second of the two commisions isn't even done yet, but I am confident as it is more my personal style. Sky and Ocean and Island and quote. Like I have said before, if it had a dead tree it would be my signature.  I leave you with the first completion from the two commisions. A young tiger playing with fishies.  

No comments: