Tuesday, January 25, 2011

When real life get's in the way of fiction

Life is hard.
They told us this in middle school, high school, college. I didn't believe them. I said to myself "Well of course it's hard for those people. But I am different." Yep, no, not different. The same. Life is hard.

I always thought of myself as a fighter, someone who gets back up after being knocked down. Someone whom deserves the soundtrack of Eye of the Tiger to play while I go about tackling my next obstacle in life. Yeah...no.

I have come to realize that weddings can be the final straw that breaks my back.

I am fine surviving on what measly income we have, fine budgeting so that we can afford something over $200 under $1000 every few months to spoil ourselves, no vacations, but we have fun. I am fine with that. But then you add a wedding. In the beginning I thought, this will be fun! What a challenge! TO have a wedding for 100 guests for under $5,000.00 I can do that.

And yes I could. With Andrew working, not with him just coming off WCB and the job market still looking like the middle of a recession, not post as they claim. (Who is they anyway? They have been lying to us all!) Now I know Andrew, and I know he always finds a job. So it isn't that I don't trust him, it's that I am worrying for the what if. What-ifs are my silent killer.

So all this time I am worrying about money, and therefore worrying about the wedding, and therefore worrying about our relationship. And with all this worry the last thing on my mind is my WIP. My worries have taken over. My WIP has fallen behind.

I am at the point where I need to put my head in the sand. I need to paint, or knit, or do something that is purely by feel and less by brain (OK painting takes brain, but a different part of brain). I keep thinking about writing and every time I think about my WIP I start thinking about money and the wedding then our relationship and so on. WIP then falls to the back of my brain and that's that.

So what do you do when you can't concentrate on your WIP?

Well it's that question or "does Bill Gates want to adopt me? and if so can I keep my parents as well?

No comments: