Sunday, January 23, 2011

I'm so normal, I'm different!

Seasoned authors, teachers, etc are always telling us would-be writers and hopefuls to write what we know.

I believed that advice and I tried to take that advice, honestly. But all I could think was "what I know is boring". And it is, if it's played that way.

I am not a superhero - blogging/working by day, fighting love crimes by night. No, I am a normal person. I work Monday to Friday 9-5. I commute an hour each way. I avoid laundry and cleaning, I stress over money (a lot) and am wishing for a miracle drug that will just burn the 50 pounds I could really afford to loose.  So what did I know that was so interesting, that could interest an agent and eventually lead to my dream of being published?

I didn't know how to be a vampire or a werewolf or a super duper sexy star of some erotic romance novel. I knew how to be me. Me was boring. I have just lately come to realize that what I know isn't just what I am. Sure, I can make a normal life seem funny, I can give twists on the day to day that make you laugh or cry or giggle because its the same stupid thing you have to go through too.

What I know is also my imagination. I had never thought of "what I knew" that way before. I don't need to live as a werewolf or vampire to know how I would react, how a normal person would react.

I recently had a very intense dream about dating a shape shifter. Not me actually being the one doing the dating, but watching it like a movie, from the heroine's perspective.

As you all know I am still editing my WIP. (does that still make it a WIP?). But I have started jotting down notes from this dream. I think I may have a Stephenie Meyer moment and dream an amazing novel. Ah hope springs eternal.

This has only happened to me once before, but instead of a shape shifter it was a time travel one. That was quite odd since Time Travel isn't really my thing. I always stutter on the details and things that would bug me "am I going to meet my mom?" "I'm going to miss my friends!", "Who's going to feed my cats?!". But this was more of a princess trapped in a cabin that was trapped in a time capsule sort of deal. A mix on the legend behind my name in a way because good looking hunters were involved. Yeah my name is that awesome, it has a legend. *snicker*

So what I know is not just who I am, but what I can imagine - that is apparently limitless.

My imagination seems to show up in my dreams (occasionally) and surprises my subconscious into consciousness with this amazing plot or idea. Something I honestly probably wouldn't think about when waking.

Where is your most surprising inspiration?

No comments: