Thursday, January 20, 2011

To pen name or not to pen name?

To pen name or not to pen name. That is my question.

I think my parents were pretty wise in their choice of name for me. Deirdre Randall. It has a nice sophisticated and slightly foreign ring to it. I love my name, and if it wasn't really egotistical I would probably name my child Deirdre the 2nd.  So now we all know that I love my name.

Well every once in a while I decide to google my full name and see what pops up. There is only one Deirdre Randall that I know of, and that is me!

Ah, but to my surprise there is more. It turns out Deirdre Randalls are quite accomplished. (again, good name choice parents).

There's already a Deirdre Randall author out there who does baby books. Completely different genre from what I am in to. I am fiction, she is non fiction/self help/instructional. But does this mean I should write under a pen name?  Are there other authors out there with the same name as another author?

I frequently use my middle name in user names (see Twitter) and go by Deirdre Dawne. So its Deirdre Dawne or my soon-to-be married name Deirdre Puff (yes.. Puff. No, I am not kidding. I know! I should write a cook book on how to make cream puffs, or start a cream puff chain. I'll be up there as Mrs. Puff right there besides Mrs. Butterworth.) But I don't think that has enough of a ring to it, and honestly I don't even know how to sign that name yet. Maybe I should practice.

So what do you think, should I use a pen name or not?

PS: here is an imagine to keep you company. My Laine-chop helping me edit.  You may not be able to see it, but the pages are full of red ink, a sign of a successful editing hour.

No comments: