Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ah the Beginning!

First post in a brand new blog! It's like the first pen swipe in a new notebook. Exciting and full of promise and usually a bit too dramatic! (see all the exclamation marks already)

I'm going to lay down some facts of who I am and all the basic things you need to know about me.

My name is Deirdre Randall. I am a 22 23 year old Legal Secretary. I have always wanted to be an award winning author living a life surrounded my books and my loyal fans. Yes, I know this is a dream, and yes, I am still trying to believe it's real and can happen. Ah, denial!

I am engaged (*squeee I know!) to a man/boy I love (obviously) and simultaneously can't stand at the same time, a.k.a Andrew.  We have lived together for 3 years and honestly the honeymoon was over a while ago. There are no rose-colored glasses, I lost those the first time he farted then tried to push my head under the covers. He is the best man I know. Has the heart of every hero and knight, but he is boy in the way that he's mischievous and brings out the immaturity in me. We can laugh and play and I trust him because his personality has this mix of honor and innocence.  Alright that's enough on Andrew.

I am an avid romance reader. There is a close tie between Andrew and my books as to which I would save from a burning building. The choice is Andrew merely because I am too weak to carry all those books, he has legs to run out of burning building, and he could carry some books as he ran out.

I love to write. I have written stories since I was young, like everyone who writes says. I started writing "novels" for my sister when I was in middle school. She was in a bad situation and the easiest way for me to help (when there was basically nothing i could do) was to write her a story about her. I tried to show her the strength I saw in her, how she had the power to do things, and how things could be better.  I love to read paranormal romance, but love to write more contemporary women's fiction.

I have other hobbies aside from reading and writing. I can't do more then one hobby at a time, so I do a few months on each of these, get bored and do another. The cycle then goes around until I am at the beginning again. Photography is on and off and I think I inherit it from my father, who was a wedding photographer before my birth. I have a ridiculous amount of really good photo's of myself as a kid. I knit, badly. I like to cheat and make toques using those easy-knit hoops. Love them! Wish they could help me make a scarf. I paint, pretty regularly. I started painting to decorate my house for less cost then buying prints. Since then I have had friends "commission" me to paint things for them for holidays and gifts. I embroider, enough that it's mostly self serving for homemade gifts.

I think I need to get more hobbies that help me with my wedding. Invitation making would be a sweet hobby to have now that I need to actually make invitations.

This is my first attempt at a blog that I hope to move into more than just a diary. I have done the online diaries, especially in high school. The good part is I found some really angsty poetry in my arsenal. The bad part is that some stranger has read more about me, my over dramatic fights with my best friend and my deep longing for attention from those cute boys, then anybody should have.

I overuse comma's and tend to have run on sentences. I  am working on this, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I will need an intervention.

Yesterday I was 92 days free of smoking! yay! That fact is only important when I start ranting and raving and generally being a moody be-otch because I will then be blaming said drama on the fact that I haven't had a smoke in so many days/hours/minutes. Who's counting?

So my hope for this blog is to share some of my sarcasm, get a bit of a following and eventually this will segue into fame and fortune. What? I'm just being honest!
Aside from such selfish goals I would like to network. I am a recent addict to Twitter and found the writing community AMAZING!  They share so many helpful blogs and articles and tips that I am in overload of all the information. And I want to be part of that! I want to contribute, not just take!

And hopefully, you will be able to watch me take myself to a place where I can give you advice with the air of a seasoned, published author.

1 comment:

Tara Lain said...

Yay, Deirdre! Welcome to blog world. You have been assimilated! : )