Monday, April 4, 2011

Family Drama

I have often considered writing a series of books of the drama that is my family.  I have gone so far as to plot out a basic outline for each novel. It came to 25 novels, not including what happens after this year but spanning back to my grandmother's time.

I am always reminded of this whenever confrontation arises in the family, and this weekend was no different then any of the others.

Once again, I sat amidst the screaming, yelling, sobbing and wailing (some of it my own) and thought, damn - I should write this down.

I have also considered the amount of contracts and privacy agreements I would have to sign in order to maintain any sort of relationship with my relatives after writing them. Perhaps a family project? A really messed up family tree by novel?

Didn't people do that before? Was that what a family bible was? I always thought it was just a really old bible.

I know there is a series out 'there' with a family that has novels spanning hook-ups, break-ups, divorces, marriages, children and death. Is more than one of these 'series' too much for the market? Is a romance novel with divorce even saleable? And why am I not tweeting this to #askagent?

More importantly, should I start the first of these novels - instead of continually procrastinating. I mean I need to interview Oma, who is already so stuck in her youth that I need a translator to speak to her.

So what do you think?

Have you ever been so convinced your family is dramatic enough to be entertainment for the public?

PS: I love my family and wouldn't change them for the world - despite how frustrating and painful it can be sometimes. The pros of my family far outweigh the cons. We fight passionately, but we also love and protect with as much heat.

The only plus side is that no matter how screwed up we are, we are not the Cyrus-es or Gosselins... or any of the families that have been in the media too long. Hmm, does the same fate fall on families that were written about (in a non tabloid way)?

No comments: