Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Coping with the End

With all that is going on in Japan, and the subsequent panicking over on this side of the ocean I have found myself in a horrible predicament in how I deal with the shock and awe of what is going on. Humor.
I am a horrible person for trying to find light in a situation that my brain can literally not grasp. I feel like all the goings on are sort of like seeing a dead, mangled body - you're eyes don't let you see what it really is. (not that I have, I am taking this from a common description Laurell K Hamilton uses in her books, but you get the idea)

With the threat (really hysterics) of radiation leaking across the ocean to us, I can't help but feel completely overwhelmed and helpless.

So I call on an old dutch saying - which has been on my lips more than 10 times in the last week. "Als de hemel valt, krijgen we allemaal een blauwe pet" Translated it means: If the sky comes down; we'll all be wearing a blue cap.

Nothing much I can do about it right? So why worry. Just like 2012, and how I dealt with Y2k and everything else. I don't believe in an end of a world, I think 2012 will just be a "restart" for the calendar. Like seriously they wrote a calendar how far in advance? At some point they had to say enough is enough. It's like the numbers of Pi... eventually you just shorten it to 3.14 cause you're wasting your life writing the rest.  Just sayin'.

So maybe a zombie Apocalypse is next?

I think me and Andrew could survive. I'm pretty sneaky and Andrew is all military brain, hunter guy.

Also, come the end of the world he can make furniture and kill us a meal. So I think we're good.

Which reminds me of a write up I found in 2009 from the Daily Mail (sorry I don't have a link. I had this on my Facebook years ago):
"Goodbye metrosexual twigman with your sad little manbag - you never did it for me - and hello beefcake beast. Where have you been?

It should come as no surprise. Economic depressions have always walked hand in hand with the worship of raw machismo. That is just the way it goes.

Who needs a sensitive accountant when all the money is going? Who needs a man to talk shoes when all the shoes have gone?

It is better to have a man who can mend things for you. And butcher sheep. And build houses and grow vegetables and make things out of bits of wood.

Won’t you feel safer? Won’t you feel better, knowing that there is a serious lump of muscle between you and the cold, cruel world outside? "
And to continue end of the world entertainment to make me feel better - I'm bringing back an oldie but goodie with "The End of the World" Tada!


In other news - Andrew comes home today!

OH MY FREAKING GOD IT"S ABOUT TIME!

No comments: