Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Painted Sunset with Painted Clouds

Inspiration hit this afternoon as I was high on cough medicine. Seems Andrew has strep-throat, which means so do I.

Anyway, inspiration struck. And so I came home to paint. I forewarned Andrew, who was sitting at home sick that I would be painting. He and my nieces cleaned up the craft room, which has been my main excuse for not painting. And I got to get to work!

The nieces chose to watch me paint instead of watch the Hockey game. Yeah we're not going to talk about the hockey game.


So a sunset painting it was. I love sunsets and sunrises - the sky, its so fun to paint. blending the colors, changing the feel of the painting with a different shade and detail.

So Start with the dark and work your way down. It's fun to blend. I tend to stick with the same mixing space and blend lighter or darker as I go.. so its a real blending.

Eventually it will come down to being blocks of color. But again, then you blend both up and down. bringing some of the darker sky down into the lighter, and alternating with bringing hints of the light up.
As you can still I still need to blend, but there are some places where the paint had dried, and when I brought the light up - it didn't blend. I'll end up needing to either blend farther by remixing dark paint, or just cover with a cloud - since it is sky, i have this option.
I decided that I needed to put some cloud in there. Clouds are something I love and hate. 

Here's a video my niece shot of me starting the clouds. There are a few shots of looking all over the place, and please forgive the pj's, but there are spots you can see how I do them. I am by no means a master.


When you see clouds, you notice they have layers. They aren't just white fluffy things (sometimes they are) but for the most part they have their own shading and different colors from the sky in there.



I added gold as a final detail to the clouds. I hadn't thought of it before, but it added that final warm detail that I wanted. It darkened and warmed the clouds.


And the final product:  The color is a bit off in this picture, not as vibrant as it is in person.


If you like this painting and want it for your home please contact me at deirdre.randall.puff@gmail.com
70 cm by 90 cm. Acrylic Sunset Painting.
Painting is $200 o.b.o.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is the best painter i have evenr seen in my life she has some serious skills i <3 i dd (
alexa)