Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Book Influence

I'm slacking at work, reading twitter trends, and finding the #bookinfluence hashtag interesting as all get out! It made me start thinking about books that influenced my life and how they did so.

Of course the first book I read had a huge impact - however I don't know what it is.

I know the first romance I ever read, my aunt or cousin gave me. It was "To Chase a Ghost" I'm not sure who it's by. I googled it and couldn't find the right one. It's a silhouette novel. It's also packed in a box ready for the move. I still keep it. It's like keeping the first piece of art I had an offer on to buy. Reminds me of my "roots".

Now maybe we could say my "slight" obsession with paranormal romance came from that, or it could have come from the series of books I read in elementary school about shape shifting kids. Those were Animorphs by K.A. Applegate. I also read the R.L. Stine books, but scaring myself was never that high on my list.

Aside from influencing my own reading choice - books have influenced more.

I have always fallen back on books in my greatest times of need. I can remember very specific books that have gotten me through parts of my life.

My first break up ever! - the book that got me through that was the over dramatic Stephanie Meyer book : New Moon. And before anyone gives me grief - this was when it FIRST came out (yes what convenient timing) and I was in my teens.

Body issues: Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner. I never felt fat after reading that (perhaps I should read it again since my self confidence has plummeted), and always told everyone to read it...though I don't think anybody else i suggested it to got all I did out of it.

Love: ah love, all the problems I went through, the growing pains Andrew and I struggled, all could be fixed with a book. Love Walked In by Marisa De Los Santos gave me hope for love after a tough break. The Penny Tree by Holly Kennedy made me persevere and believe I would be fine.

Of course I could always find a book that was specific to my situation. Oh I was in love with my best friend in high school who treated me like a sister? Well there's a Nora Roberts for that. Oh, my boyfriend is harry and slightly aggressive, there's a Laurel K Hamilton for that. Ok. the last one didn't really happen. And don't tell Andrew I called him harry.

I can remember spending more time reading then partying. Probably a god send to my mother, though ultimately more expensive.

When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up - my choices would always bend with what book I was reading. During high school it was almost all Nora Roberts, so you can almost go down the new releases for 2002-2006 -and tell what kind of career I wanted. Architect, Lawyer, House flipper, Librarian, Gallery Curator/Artist, Entrepreneur - i still want that.

I have eaten foods on the whim of the characters I was reading. I have researched new religion, food, decor, etc because of a theme in a book. I have painted paintings because the image of art described in a novel where so strong in my mind.

Hell, if we really want to get down to it, even my accessories are influenced by my reading. I am never without a purse large enough for a hardcover.

So what books influenced you?

No comments: