Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sketching

It's been a while since I sat and sketched, I haven't sat down and done it since we moved to our new house in August.

So last night was all about sketching. It nicely fit in with my nephew's upcoming birthday this Saturday, so why not try my hand at sketching someone I know. Strangers are easy to sketch, you don't have to make them look like themselves, you can just...take artistic license with them, when it's someone you know, the pressure is on!

So I have a ridiculously cute little nephew! He's got one of the most expressive faces! I figured, with such defined features, that this would be easy...yeah, not the case!


Here's my nephew:











And here are the sketches:


Even now, coming back and seeing them I am unsure of the likeness. I know it's him, but that's simply because I meant it to be.

It's the smallest things that seem to define a person. But looking at them, I can't pin point exactly what small change would transform these sketches from simple sketches that vaguely resemble my nephew, to sketches that capture him completely. 

No comments: